For students looking to become a Louis Stokes North Star STEM Alliance scholar, or for scholars who wish to apply for travel and submit reflection forms, please scroll down, click the institution that you are enrolled at, and then select the appropriate form.
If you have previously applied and been accepted as a Louis Stokes North Star STEM Alliance (LS-NSSA) scholar, do not apply to become a scholar again. Acceptances from previous years carry over.
Below is information about each of the forms on our website. Read carefully before filling out the appropriate form. If you have any questions about any of these forms, please contact your institution's LS-NSSA Representative.
Join the Louis Stokes North Star STEM Alliance
Anyone can attend LS-NSSA events, but in order to enroll in stipend programs, such as our First Year Scholars program, or receive funding for travel and research, students must submit an application to our program and be accepted as scholars for the Alliance. Below are the basic requirements for becoming an LS-NSSA scholar:
- Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at one of our Alliance Partner institutions below (scroll down to see the list of partner institutions)
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident/green card
- Majoring in one of our accepted majors
- Identify as one or more of the ethnicities or races that NSF and 3M, providers of our funding, have agreed to support (Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians or Pacific Islanders, Southeast Asians, and/or Alaska Natives)
We will contact you whether or not your application is accepted. If your application as a scholar had previously been accepted, do not apply again unless it has been 4 or more years. Scholar acceptance carries over multiple school years.
This application is for Alliance scholars who are interested in attending conferences and symposiums listed under Conference, Meeting, and Symposium Opportunities. Scholars who wish to attend conferences not listed must contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in addition to submitting a travel application.
Here are the basic requirements for traveling with funding from the LS-NSSA:
- Be accepted as an LS-NSSA scholar at the institution you currently attend
- 18 years of age or older
- Hold a GPA of 2.8 or higher (exceptions can be made for special circumstances, please see the application itself for more information)
Contact us at email@example.com for any further questions or issues.
The Student Reflection form is intended for accepted scholars who are required to write a reflection after attending an event, presenting at a conference, meeting with an ambassador or peer mentor, and so on. The LS-NSSA office will contact you if this form is required. Please fill out the reflection form under your institution in a timely manner after we ask you to and reflect honestly on your experiences.
Bemidji State University
Fond du Lac Tribal & Community College
Leech Lake Tribal College
Metropolitan State University
Minneapolis Community and Technical College (MCTC)
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota Technology Association
Science Museum of Minnesota