Get Ready for Summer 2022! The MnDRIVE Summer Internship application is now open!
Thanks to a collaboration between the North Star STEM Alliance and Minnesota's Discovery, Research, and InnoVation Economy (MnDRIVE), our students may participate in paid research internships with MnDRIVE researchers. MnDRIVE is a partnership between the University of Minnesota and the State of Minnesota that aligns areas of research strength with the state’s key and emerging industries to address grand challenges. North Star students may apply for research opportunities within four areas:
Applications will open every year on February 1 and close at 11:59 pm (CST) on the Friday, March 11 (the original deadline was March 4th but has been extended). For 2022, applications will close Friday, March 11 @ 11:59 PM (CST). Successful matches will be announced by April 15.
Benefits of MnDRIVE awards:
- Great experience in STEM which may lead to a more robust resume and stronger recommendations
- A $4,000 stipend funded through financial aid
- Opportunity to produce a poster and present the research at the Summer Undergraduate Research Expo
- Housing stipend and/or on campus housing will be provided to any scholar who does not live in the Twin Cities metro
- Completed 45 credits by end of spring term (preferred, but not required)
- Have a GPA above 2.75
- Be fully committed to the research experience (i.e.: not planning to hold a full-time job or enroll in a course)
- Must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Must not be a graduating senior (May or August graduates are not eligible)
- Be/become an LS-NSSA scholar (contact LS-NSSA Assistant Director, Crystal Lee-Thao for additional information).
2022 Internship Dates:
February 1: Application opens
March 11: Application closes at 11:59 pm (CST)
June 2: Internship Kick-Off and Luncheon
June 6: MnDRIVE program begins
July 28: Summer Undergraduate Research Expo
July 29: Summer research internship ends
How to Apply:
- Complete an online application (opens February 1, closes March 11)
- Have a copy of your most recent college transcript
- Submit a personal statement that is no longer than 500 words and addresses the following:
- Expresses why you wish to participate in this research program, and what you hope to gain through the experience – including any information that you feel supports your request to participate (i.e. research experiences, coursework, employment, internships).
- Describes your career goals and how you plan to reach them through graduate education or future employment.
- Arrange for a letter of reference (from a professional reference). All letters of recommendation must be emailed to Crystal Lee-Thao (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:59 pm (CST) on March 11, 2022.
MnDRIVE 2021 Posters
Click here to view MnDRIVE 2021 cycle poster presentations.
- Will there be housing for scholars who do not live in the Twin Cities?
Yes. We will be providing campus housing for accepted interns who need it from June 2 to July 29.
Will there be parking so that I can park on campus for work?
Yes. On campus parking will be provided for all interns for the duration of the research internship.
What are the dates of the research internship?
The internship officially starts on Monday, June 6, 2022 and ends Friday, July 29, 2022. There will be a mandatory half-day kick-off meeting and luncheon for all MnDRIVE interns and faculty on Thursday, June 2.
How many hours of work a week is required?
This is a part-time internship that requires 20 hours of work a week, for 8 weeks.
What is the timeline once the application deadline closes?
We begin reviewing applications on March 14th. We anticipate that we will complete the application review process by March 25th, and students will hear from us regarding if their application will move forward with the faculty match process. The faculty match process will take place from March 25 - April 15th. The deadline for faculty to match with a scholar is April 15th. The match process includes an interview with the faculty(ies) who choose to meet with a scholar. All acceptances will be sent on or before April 15, 2022.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.